Tuesday, January 10, 2012

It's time. I have returned, again.

Probably. Hopefully. Honestly, I'm really going to try. Spending most of my day in front of the computer doing useful stuff makes my computer time at home generally filled with mind numbing flash games and reading other peoples writing, which I have little to no intent to accomplish myself.

The few of you that are subscribed to this probably know where I am. If not, then open your front door. For the rest of you lazy assholes that are just stopping by to let me distract you from other more important things that you could be doing... I can relate.

So this thing tells me my last update was October 2nd and pretty soon I was to depart from the land of Weinerschnitzel, Kebaps and public drinking (Austria). Also, there was some other cool stuff.

After an extended stay (8 weeks) in the states; I'm officialy back to work in Europe. This time: Amsterdam.

Home of the ubiquotously underwhelming beer.

The street market next to my house.


I've been here since the 7th of December. Work is great. It's extremely challenging, which is also great. If you want to know what I'm doing there, go here http://blogs.ico-worker.com/us/bloggers/honetschlager

From a personal perspective, I'd have to say I'm doing fairly well. Leaving everyone behind still sucks. I miss a lot of people. Such is life.

I live with two other backpackers: Yohan Park, from Japan (he's Korean) and Victoria Chobanyan, from Russia (she's Russian).

We live in a pretty sweet flat in the middle of one of the best areas of Amsterdam: De Pijp. I don't have any history to reference or specific things to tell you about the neighborhood, but its old. Nothing is level. The staircase would be considered a safety hazard most countries; it is slightly easier to just use your hands on the stairs while walking up than actually holding on to the railing. The individual steps are about half the depth of my feet. Every morning as I descend, I picture that six figure sum stated in my travel insurance and remind myself just to close my eyes and relax when I finally eat shit.

This is where I will die. Yea, we're at the top.

I was home alone for Christmas. And you know what? I actually enjoyed spending Christmas alone. If only you could shut off the volume of that much family, as simply as ending a call on skype every holiday. 

For New Year's I met up with a couple of my fellow backpacking friends in Paris. We had a blast. Met another new, backpacking co-worker who is on assignment in that romantic, charming and dreadfully fucking busy city. 






Much to the disappointment of about 50,000 people in my near vicinity; there were no (zero) fireworks at midnight. If confusion was expelled as an intense fluctuating light source, the reflection on the single tear running down every persons cheek there would have sent the crowd into a mass epileptic seizure. Luckily we had an excess of champagne, and our new friend had brought some sparklers. Hoorah!

Since that weekend. I really haven't done much. I have shot a lot of video which I need to compile and edit, to give you all a taste of this city. I promise, that post will come. Eventually... 

Until next time...












Christian

2 comments:

  1. Go play some frisbee in Vondelpark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those pastries look delicious! Also, love the third picture down in both sets of three (3rd/7th photos?); your water pictures are gorgeous!
    -Karis

    ReplyDelete